Alzheimer’s disease affects thinking, concentration, memory and judgement, & ultimately impedes a person’s ability to perform normal daily activity.
Alzheimer’s disease (AD), also known as Alzheimer’s, is a chronic neurodegenerative disease, that is a type of dementia which causes problems with your memory, thinking and behavior. It usually starts slowly and worsens over time.
This disease is the most most common type of dementia ( loss of mental ability associated with gradual death of brain cells ). In this disease, there is progressive brain cell death that happens over a course of time.
According to a survey, Alzheimer’s disease is becoming a more common cause of death in U.S.
A survey also say that women seem to be more likely than are men to develop this disease, in part because they live longer.
Stages Of Alzheimer’s Disease :
There are Seven stages of this disease :
Stage 1 : –
Normal Outward Behavior :
In the first stage, there are no any symptoms that you can easily spot. In this case, only a PET Scan is the test which shows how your brain working.
Stage 2 : –
Very Mild Changes :
In this stage, the patient may notice minor memory problems or lose things around your house. The patient also well memory tests and the disease is unlikely to be detected by physicians or loved ones.
Stage 3 : –
Mild Decline :
In this stage, the closed person of the patient may begin to notice memory and cognitive problems.
The patients, will have difficulty in many areas :
- Finding the right word during conversations
- Remembering names of new acquaintances
- Planning and organizing
Stage 4 : –
Moderate Decline :
In this stage, the symptoms are easily found. Patient with this stage :
- Have difficulty with simple arithmetic.
- Inability to manage finance and pay bills.
- May forget details about their life histories.
- Have poor short term memory.
Stage 5 :
Moderately Severe Decline :
In this stage, the patient begin to need help with many day to day activities. Patient with this stage :
- Significant confusion.
- Difficulty dressing appropriately.
- Inability to recall simple details about themselves.
Stage 6 : –
Severe Decline :
In this stage, patient needs to constant supervision and frequently require professional care. Patient with this stage :
- More Confuse
- Major personality changes.
- Potential behavior problems.
- Inability to recognize faces.
- Loss of bowel and bladder control
Stage 7 : –
Very Severe Decline :
In this stage, the basic abilities such as eating, walking, and sitting up, are changed. In this stage, patients are near to death.
The cause of this disease is still mostly unknown. But, several competing hypothesesexist trying to explain the cause of the disease :
- Tau hypothesis
- Cholinergic hypothesis
- Amyloid hypothesis
There are many symptoms of this disease. Some of them are :
- Memory : In this disease, patient’s memory lapses. His behavior changes, like – repeat statements and questions over and over, not realizing that they’ve asked the question before.
- Thinking style : In this disease, the thinking style of the patient is changes.
- Change in personality : In this disease, the personality of the person is changes, like – patient goes into depression, change in sleeping habits.
- Change in behavior : In this disease, the behavior of the person in changed, like – Mood swings.
Diagnosis & Treatment :
Alzheimer’s disease is not simple to diagnose, there is no single test for it.
In this case, your doctor may :
- Ask about your your daily activity.
- Check your neurological function.
- Tests of your blood.
- Tests of urine.
- Arranging brain scans.
There is no any cure for this disease. But there are medicines that seem to slow down its progress.
- Tacrine (Cognex) : It worked by slowing the breakdown of a brain chemical, which helps nerve cells in your brain send messages to each other. It may damage your liver.
- Memantine : This drug seems to protect against nerve damage and has few side effects than the other drugs.