What is birth control implant?
The birth control implant ( Nexplanon is the brand name, previously Implanon ) is a tiny and thin rod about the size of a matchstick. It is inserted under the skin of your upper arm. It’s too small, in fact, most of the people can not see it once it is inserted into your body.
This implement releases progestin, a hormone that keeps your ovaries from releasing eggs and thickens your cervical mucus and helps to block sperms from getting to the egg in the first place and prevents you from getting pregnant.
It helps to prevent you from pregnancy for up to 4 years.
How does it work?
The implant is a tiny rud about the size of a matchstick. Your doctor inserts this implant under the skin of your upper arm. It releases the hormone progestin to stop you from getting pregnant.
The hormones that help you to prevent you from pregnancy in two ways, including –
- Progestin thickens the mucus on the cervix, which helps to block sperm from swimming through to the egg. When sperm can’t run across with an egg, then you can’t get pregnant.
- Keep the ovaries (called ovulation) from releasing eggs. When the eggs are not released, then you can’t get pregnant.
Once this implement is inserted into your body, then you are free to get pregnant unto for 4 years. But, in case, you decide that you want to get pregnant, then your doctor may take it out. When the implement is removed or out of your body, then you’re able to get pregnant quickly.
Does it protect you against STDs?
No. The implant does not protect you from STDs ( Sexually Transmitted Diseases ). Always do a safe sex. Safe Sex is a sexual activity that does not allow your body fluids and your partner’s body fluids ( semen, vaginal fluids, and blood ) to come into contact with each other. In other words, you may say that safe sex means taking precaution during sex to protect yourself and your partner against STIs ( Sexually Transmitted Infections ) and STDs ( Sexually Transmitted Disease ).
How effective is this?
The implant is one of the best birth control method. Its approx 99% effective. It means 1 out of 100 women who use this implant will get pregnant. It protects you from pregnancy up to 4 years.
What are the benefits of implant?
The birth control implants are a convenience, safety, and simplicity. This is why most of the woman choose this implant to use. It’s more popular with the woman, due to :
- There is no daily medicine required.
- No prep work needed before sexual intercourse.
- Also to use it while breastfeeding.
- Long lasting effects without sterilization.
- Get pregnant once you stop using the implant.
Side effects of birth control implants :
- Few or low bleeding during periods
- Irregular periods
- Menorrhagia ( long and heavy period )
- Sore breast
- Change in sex drive
- Overweight or weight gain
- A headache and stress
Note: The woman who is suffered from breast cancer, cannot use birth control implants.