Understanding all about Cancer
What is Cancer ?
Cancer, also called malignancy, is the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It happens when bodies normal control mechanism stops working. There are about 100 different types of cancer found. Each of them is classified by the type of cell associated with it.
In this, the old cells does not die instead they grow uncontrollably forming abnormal cells. These extra cells formed may create a lump or tumor.Tumors can grow and interfere with the digestive, nervous ,and circulatory system. They releases hormones that can alter bodies growth mechanism and prove to be harmful. However Leukemia is an exception as it does not form tumors.
According to a study, about 90.5 million people are suffering from cancer. In which 14.1 million new cases arise every year. It also contributes to almost 15.7 % of human deaths. Its most common types are lung, colon, stomach, prostate and breast cancer.
Types of cancer
There are mainly five main types depending on the organs associated with it. They are :
- Sarcomas – It develops in the bone, cartilage, muscle and connective tissues.
- Leukemia – It happens in bone marrow and blood.
- Lymphomas – It occurs in the immune system.
- Carcinomas – It begins in the skin and the internal linings of an organ.
- Central Nervous System (CNS) – It develops in the brain and cord.
How can it be treated?
Treatment depends on its type and category one is suffering from. There are different treatment options available depending on its stages. The main motive of this treatment is to kill cancer cells and to protect nearby normal cells from being infected.
There can be various sub types within same type causing a lot of chaos and difficulty to the doctors. For example, in case of breast cancer there can be different sub types which can occur in different persons differently. Researchers are discovering its various sub types and their remedy.
However with the advancement of technology, it has become a bit easier to treat the disease.
The three main treatments available are :
- Radiation Therapy : X- rays are used to kill cancerous cells.
- Chemotherapy : Chemicals are used to kill cancerous cells.
- Surgery : Surgically tumors are directly removed.