Chondromalacia patellae, a chronic knee pain …
Chondromalacia patellae, also called CMP or runner’s knee, is the most common cause of knee pain. This disease is common in young, athletic individuals. It also occur in older adults who are suffered from arthritis of the knee.
In CMP, the cartilage on the undersurface of patella (kneecap) deteriorates and softens.
Normally, CMP affects both gender ( male and female ). But, according to a survey women are twice as likely as men are to develop CMP. It may occurs due to the woman’s wider pelvis increases the angle at which the bones in the knee joint meet.
Causes of CMP :
Generally, the patella (kneecap) resides over the front of knee joint. In the case of banding the knee, backside of your patella (kneecap) glides over cartilage of the femur, ( thigh bone ) at your knee. In this situation, the tendons and the ligaments attach to your kneecap to your shinbone and thigh muscle. If any of these component doesn’t work properly than it can disturb your kneecap to rub up against the thigh bone. As a result, it generates CMP.
Some situation that may generate CMP, including :
- Running, skiing or jumping sports puts repetitive stress on the knee joints.
- Imbalance of muscles between adductors and abductors.
- Knee surgery.
- Pain in knee joint
Risk factors of CMP :
Here are some common risk factors of CMP :
- Age : It also increase the risks of CMP. It affects the adolescents and young adults. It also occur in older adults who are suffered from arthritis of the knee.
- Gender : Women are twice as likely as men are to develop CMP.
- Certain Sports : Certain sports, such as – running, jumping can increase the risk of CMP.
- Flat Feet : Flat feet also increase the risk of CMP by placing more stress on the knee joints than having higher arches would.
- Arithritis : It may increase the risks of CMP.
Symptoms of CMP :
Some common symptoms of CMP are including :
- Aching pain in the front area of knee
- Pain occurs walk up or down stairs
- The pain also occurs when you sit with a bent knee for long periods of time
Prevention from CMP :
- Lose excess weight : If you are overweight, than lose your excess weight.
- Warm up : Before running, jumping or other exercise, warm up with two to three minutes or so of light activity.
- Stretch : Develop flexibility on your body by gentle stretching exercises.
- Wear good shoes and shocks : Always take fit shoes and good shocks.