Common cold, also known as cold, is an infectious disease caused by virus affecting nose. Medically, it is a viral upper respiratory tract infection caused by different types of viruses. The rhino virus is the most common virus which causes cold in most of the cases. Colds are the most frequent infectious disease which affects human body. According to a study , an average man gets affected 4-5 times annually whereas a child gets affected by as many 8 times annually by cold.
Symptoms of common cold includes :-
- Sore Throat
- Running Nose
- Non stop sneezing
- Low Fever
- Mild Headache or Body Pain
- Rhinovirus is found to be the most common virus which causes common cold in 50% of the cases.
- Common cold can be transmitted from one person to another by direct or indirect contact. Its virus can spread from the droplets in the air when some victim coughs or sneezes.
- It also spreads by hand shaking as well as sharing of the towel with the sick.
Diagnosis and Treatment
As common cold is caused by viruses in most of the cases and viruses don’t carry out metabolic process , so one cannot simply go for an Antibiotics unless there is a Bacterial Infection. Generally common cold lasts for 4-5 days however it takes nearly a week to completely get rid of it.
Here is a list of remedies that one should go for :-
General Advice :
- Drink plenty of water so that the water lost in the form of heat can be recovered.
- Drink fruit juice and eat salad. The nutrients found in them boosts immune system.
- A healthy and nutritious food diet helps in fast recovery and provides immune to body to fight from external agents.
- Take rest. It is suggested not to go for any physical work until you are back to normal.
Medicational Advice :
- Decongestants helps in getting rid of a blocked nose. It provides relief by reducing the swelling inside nose ,thereby helps in breathing easier.
- Pain killer helps in providing relief from head aches and body pain caused during cold.
- Medicines can prove to be of great help in case of a bacterial infection. One can easily get medicines from the pharmacy .