Gastroenteritis is an infection that affects your stomach and intestines …
Gastroenteritis, also called Stomach Flu is an infection that occurs in gastrointestinal tract which involves your stomach and small intestine. It is a common condition that causes diarreah, vomiting and stomach pain.
Stomach flu should only last for a few days or less than two weeks. Usually it does not require medication.
The most common cause of stomach flu is virus. Sometimes it may occurs due to the infection of parasites, bacteria and fungus.
Generally, it affects people of all ages, but common in young children. In most cases in children, it occurs due to virus, named Rotavirus.
Older people, young children and those person who have weak immune system may have the risk of developing stomach flu. It may occurs due to drinking of contaminated water, eating improperly prepared foods or close contact with the infected person.
Causes of stomach flu :
The common cause of stomach flu is virus. Sometimes it may occurs due to the infection of parasites, bacteria and fungus.
- Viruses (like rotavirus or norovirus infections)
- Parasites (like giardia)
- Bacteria (including salmonella)
- Toxins (that produced by bacteria)
- Chemicals (like the toxins that available in poisonous mushrooms)
How it spread :
- Through faces
- Infected or uncovered foods
- Dirty water
- Person -to- person
- Unwashed hands after going to the bathroom or changing a diaper
Symptoms of stomach flu :
The symptoms of stomach flu are usually appear up to a day after becoming infected and should be last less than a week. But can in some cases, it last longer.
The main symptoms of stomach flu including :
- Watery diarrhea
- Stomach pain
Some others symptoms including :
What to do it you have stomach flu :
If you find the symptoms of stomach flu, than stay at home or take rest until you feel better. Generally, it doesn’t need for a specific treatment, and cures in a small duration of time.
Mostly, you do not need to take a medical advice, unless the symptoms improve at a risk of more serious problem.
Here are some tips that will help you to cure soon…
- Wash your hand with anti-bacterial soap or hand-wash before eating.
- Always drink pure water.
- Drink Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS).
- Stay at home.
- Take a warm wet towels on forehead.
- Cover your mouth or nose.
- Must wash your hands after going to the bathroom or changing a diaper.
When to get medical advice :
Generally, stomach flu should get better on its own. But, you need to get a medical advice if you have :
- Bloody diarrhoea
- Fever more than 38C (100.4F)
- A serious underlying condition, like kidney disease
- Weak immune system
- Frequent vomiting
- After coming back in poor sanitation
- Don’t share your towel, dress or cutlery to anyone.
- Wash your cloth or bed separately on a hot wash.
- Clean your surrounding area by flush away you poo or vomit in toilet.
- Cook your food thoroughly.
- Take extra care when going to the area of poor sanitation.