Is breastfeeding a method of birth control!!
Breastfeeding is not just a healthy way to feed your baby. It can also be a method of birth control. But it only has done in a certain way.
It can only be used by women who have recently given birth. The form of birth control is known as the LAM ( Lactational Amenorrhea Method ).
How does it prevent pregnancy?
Breastfeeding works only when your infant is younger than 6 months and breastfeeds exclusively around the clock, and you are not yet having menstrual periods.
A new mom nurse at least every 10 hours during the whole day. In these time, the body automatically stops ovulating ( not produce the hormone that is required for ovulation ) when you feed your baby only breast milk. If you do not ovulate then you can’t get pregnant. It is the free, safe, and convenient option of birth control.
Is it an effective method of birth control?
This is a safe and effective and free method to control the birth. But the three conditions must be met to ensure its effectiveness, including :
- The baby must be 6 months of age.
- You must fully breastfeed your baby.
- Has not had a period ( monthly cycle )since delivering her baby
Are there any side effects?
There are no any side effects when using breastfeeding as a form of birth control.
What are its benefits?
Lactation (the production of breast milk) is controlled primarily by two types of hormones, prolactin ( stimulates milk production ), and oxytocin ( responsible for transporting milk into the ducts which connect to the nipple ).
- Gives to your baby the best nutrition it can receive.
- Increasing the immunity of your body against allergies.
- It does not require any supervision or private appointments.
- Reduce the risk of infection.
- Passing the antibodies of mother to the baby to protect against particular infections
What are its disadvantages?
Here are some disadvantages of this birth control :
- Only available to women who have just given birth.
- Can only be relied upon for up to six months.
- The women feel less sexual about her breasts.
- Reduce the vaginal lubrication when a woman is aroused.
Click Here to know about Condom.