Measles is a highly contagious infectious disease, caused by rubeola virus.
Measles is a serious disease which is caused by a virus that is easily spread. Its symptoms develop 10 to 12 days after exposure to an infected person. It lasts 7–10 days. Its initial symptoms are including high fever, running or blocked nose, conjunctivitis ( pink eyes ).
Some disease including diarrhea, blindness, inflammation of the brain, and pneumonia, increase the risk of this disease. In a pregnant woman, this disease can cause miscarriages or premature delivery.
Some Important Facts :
Here are some key points about this disease :
- It is a highly infectious disease.
- Its symptoms are including high fever, blocked nose, conjunctivitis.
- There is no specific treatment for this disease.
The initial symptoms of this disease are including :
After eight days, the symptoms are including :
- A dry cough
- Running nose
- Watery eyes
- Puffy eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Small white spots are known as Koplik’s spots from inside mouth, cheeks, and throat.
This disease is caused by the rubeola virus (a paramyxovirus). Generally, the virus lives in the mucus of nose and throat of an infected person.
The infection may spread through :
- Physical contact with the infected person
- Go to the infected people if they cough
- Touch the infected surface and rubbing the nose or eyes.
How it spread?
The virus of this disease is spread through droplet transmission from the nose, throat, and mouth of someone who is infected with this virus. These droplets are sprayed out when the infected person coughs or sneezes.
When its virus enters the body, it multiplies in the back of the throat, lungs, and the lymphatic system. After sometimes, it also infects and replicates in the urinary tract, eyes, blood vessels, and also infect the central nervous system.
Any person can be affected by this disease if they breathe in infected droplets or are in close physical contact with the infected person.
Till there is no specific treatment for this disease. The doctor will recommend taking rest and plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
If you feel sick and think you may have this disease then :
- Visit your doctor.
- Tell him about your travel.
- Avoid contact with other people.
Prevention is better than cure. Here is some prevention that helps you to treat this disease :
- Avoid smoking
- Use sunglasses.
- Wash your hands with anti-germs soap.
- You may clean your hands with hand sanitizer.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you need to touch, make sure your hands are clean.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Try to avoid close contact, such as kissing, hugging, or sharing eating utensils or cups, with the infected person.