Menorrhagia is an abnormal heavy periods, mostly caused by imbalances in hormone levels, especially progesterone and estrogen.
Menorrhagia is the medical term for menstrual periods with heavy or prolonged bleeding.
There are no any universal level of menstrual bleeding that is 100% perfect because menstrual periods vary for every woman, so it may be difficult to decide what is normal and what is abnormal bleeding.
But, if you suffer from a heavy period ( by using a new pad or tampons every two or three hours, or if your menstrual cycle lasts longer than six days, or both ), than you may be suffered from this disease.
Sign & Symptoms of Heavy Periods :
Signs and symptoms of heavy bleeding may include:
- Soaking through one or more sanitary pads or tampons every two or three hours.
- May use double sanitary protection to control heavy bleeding.
- Needing to wake up to change sanitary protection during the night.
- Bleeding for longer than six days.
- Change in daily activities due to heavy bleeding.
- Feeling tiredness, fatigue or shortness of breath
- Stomach pain due to heavy bleeding.
- Cramps in abdomen
- Vaginal itching
Causes of Heavy Periods :
Generally heavy bleeding are caused by imbalance of hormones estrogen and progesterone that helps to prepare the body of woman for a possible pregnancy by thickening the uterine lining, called endometrium. Some other causes can be including :
- Underactive thyroid gland
- Vaginal infections
- Inflammation of the cervix
- Fluctuations in weight
- Noncancerous uterus tumors
- Changes in diet
- Uterine cancer
Home Remedy :
Hot water remedy :-
- Hot water
- Hot water bag
- Take a hot water bag.
- Add hot water in it.
- Put the bottle on your lower abdomen.
- Don’t sleep with heating pad to prevent burns.
Massage Therapy is a type of technique, in which different type of massage are given that usually depends on your needs as well as your physical condition. It is a manual manipulation of soft body tissue like muscle, connective tissues, tendons e.t.c. to enhance a persons health.
Take a healthy food diet :
Maintaining a good and balanced food diet helps in reducing the risk of getting suffered from most of the diseases.
Beans and lentils
Beans are rich in their Zinc content which helps in maintain your health. Red kidney beans contains zinc in maximum proportion as compared to black eyed kidney beans and lentils.
Orange colored fruits
Fruits and vegetables like Mangoes, Carrots, Apricots, Sweet potatoes etc. contains beta-carotene (Vitamin A) which gives these foods their orange color.
sunflower seeds , almonds & peanuts
Presence of a large amount of Vitamin E content and other nutrients in sources like sunflower seeds, almonds and peanuts helps in slow Age- rated Muscular Degeneration (AMD) from getting worse.
Broccoli & dark cabbage
Broccoli and dark vegetables contain numerous vitamins like Vitamin A , Vitamin C , and Vitamin E. They are rich in anti oxidants.
Cayenne pepper :
Cayenne pepper helps to get relief from excessive menstrual flow.
- Take a glass of warm water.
- Add ½ teaspoon of cayenne powder in it.
- Add a little honey.
- Mix it well.
- Drink this 2 or 3 times a day during your cycle.
When Should You See a Doctor :
Visit a gynecologist if –
- Your menstrual bleeding seems excessive.
- Menstruation lasts longer than a week.
- Menstruation impacts everyday life.
- Bleeding between periods.
- Bleeding after menopause.
- Also bleeding after sex.
- Blooding during pregnancy.
General Advice :
- Take healthy and balance diet
- Reduce intake of caffeine.
- Stop smoking.
- Do exercise daily.
- Take herbal tea.
- Stop eating excess pickle.
Medical Advice :
Your doctor may determine the cause of heavy menstrual bleeding by some test :
- May take a sample of tissue from the uterine lining, to check for abnormal cells, a potential indicator of cancer.
- X-ray images of the uterus.