Motion sickness, also called travel sickness, is a very common disturbance of the inner body that is caused by repeated motion. In this sickness, a disagreement exists between your visually perceived movement and your vestibular system’s sense of movement.
Travel sickness is caused by repeated motion from a vehicle or any other movements that disturb your inner body. This can be referred to as sea sickness ( riding on a boat or ship ), car sickness, simulation sickness, air sickness or amusement park ride sickness e.t.c.
The most common symptom of travel sickness is Dizziness, fatigue, nausea or vomiting. According to a survey, 3-D movies can also cause nausea.
Ten seconds summery :
- Travel sickness occurs if functions as a defense mechanism against neurotoxins.
- Anyone can develop travel sickness, but commonly it affects children from the age 2 to 12 years, pregnant women, and that people who are prone to migraines.
- The symptoms of travel sickness arise from the inner ear due to the changes in the sense of a person of balance and equilibrium.
- The most common symptoms of travel sickness are nausea, vomiting, and dizziness.
Causes of travel sickness :
Travel sickness is caused by continue stimulation of the tiny portion of the inner ear (vestibular system ) that helps to control your sense of balance.
The facts that can affects your vestibular system including –
- When exposed to unfamiliar motion.
- During turbulent weather.
Some other causes of travel sickness including :
- Heart discomfort
- Smelling someone who is airsick
- Eating nauseating foods
Sign and Symptoms of travel sickness :
Some serious symptoms :
- Short breath
Some common symptoms :
- Feeling discomfort
- Mild unease
Generally, travel sickness are mild and self-treatable. But, in rare case, it may be dangerous. To diagnose your travel sickness, your doctor will ask about your symptoms and find out what usually causes the problem (such as sea sickness ( riding on a boat or ship ), car sickness, simulation sickness, air sickness or amusement park ride sickness ).
This is one of the most common prescribed medication for travel sickness. Take it before the symptoms start.
Take it at least two hours before travel. Its effects last 6 to 8 hours. Its side effects may include sleepiness and dry mouth.
Meclizine (Bonine) :
Take it at least one hour before travel. It is not recommended for the children who are under 12 years. Its side effects may include sleepiness and dry mouth.
- Sit in the position in which your eyes can see the same motion that your body feels.
- If you have car sickness then sit in the front seat and look at the distant scenery.
- In the case of sea sickness, go to the deck and watch the motion of the horizon.
- In air sickness, sit by the window and look outside.
- Avoid strong odor during travel.
Tips to control your travel sickness :
Here are some tips that helps to control your travel sickness.
Looking at the horizon :
Look out of the window of the moving vehicle and to gaze toward the horizon in the direction of travel. It re-orient your inner sense of balance by providing visual reaffirmation of the motion.
Keep your eyes close :
Close your eyes, or you may take a nap for avoid travel sickness. This resolves the input conflict between your eyes and your vestibular system.
Chewing gum helps to relive in common and mild car sickness.
Fresh air :
Fresh air can also helps to control travel sickness. It also helps to avoid foul odors, which can cause nausea.