Obesity means the accumulation of too much fats in the form of adipose tissue in body. These extra calories are generated when the difference between calories in and calories out is more. In this case, calorie in is more while calorie out is less in comparison. They may have a negative effect on health leading to vulnerable risk for various heart diseases , diabetes ,high blood pressure , stroke , certain types of cancer and osteoarthritis. Obesity itself is considered as a disease as it give rise to several other diseases and has a negative impact on health.
As the number of population getting obese is exponentially increasing , World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared it as an epidemic. People having Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 30 Kg/m² are considered to be obese while the one between 25-30 Kg/m² are considered to be overweight. Obesity is the leading cause of death worldwide and is growing rapidly mostly in children.
- Physical Inactivity :- People who are physically active are able to burn the excess calories present in their body while people who are physically inactive accumulates the fat ultimately being Obese.
- Over eating :- Eating habits which are more than the desired intake are one of the leading cause of people being obese. Over consumption of foods that are high in fats leads to weight gain.
- Diet rich in Carbohydrates :- Foods that are rich in carbohydrates increases blood glucose levels which stimulates insulin that is released by pancreas . Insulin promotes the growth of fat tissue and thereby causing weight gain.
- Genetics & Environmental Factors :- Obesity is a genetic inherited disease which propagates generation after generation and also is widely determined by the environmental factors.
- Sluggish Lifestyle :- A sluggish lifestyle causes Obesity to grow gradually. Insufficient exercise and laziness in doing a work adds to most to Obesity.
One can check whether they are Obese or not by simply calculating Body Mass Index (BMI). If BMI comes to be over 30 Kg/m² then it signifies obesity , while if it comes to be in the range of 18.5- 24.9, it is considered to be normal. To calculate BMI one get to know body Weight (in Kg) and Height (in metres) .
It can be calculated with the help of following expressions :-
BMI = Body Weight (in Kg) / Height² (in m)
Example :- If body weight is 60 Kg and height is 1.8 m, then BMI comes to be 60/(1.8×1.8) , i.e 18.52 which lies in the normal weight. If this range comes to be in between 25-29.9 then the person is considered as Over weight.
- Healthy Diet :- Consumption of healthy food diets that are rich in nutrients helps in lowering the risk of obesity. A proper balanced diet is all that is necessary to be healthy.
- Regular Exercise :- Having a regular exercise lowers the chances of being obese.
- Physical Activity :- Always be indulged in some kind of physical activities so that you can burn the excess calories formed in body.
- Surgery :- It is the last option to get rid of Obesity. It is a bit complex process and is only recommended for persons whose BMI is greater than 40 who has failed to control it with food diets and other activities. These surgeries may include
- Gastric Surgery
- Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Stomach Stapling
- Laparoscopic Band surgery …etc.