Ovarian cancer is any cancerous growth that begins in the ovary.
Ovarian cancer is one of the most common causes of cancer death in women. This cancer forms in the ovary of women. It is an uncontrolled growth of cells in the tissues of the ovary that have the ability to spread to other parts of your body.
Ovary cancer is difficult to detect, especially when it is in the early stages. Its symptoms may include bloating, pelvic pain, abdominal swelling, abdominal pain, back pain, pain during intercourse and loss of appetite.
The risk factors that help to develop ovary cancer are including family history, older age, reproductive history, and obesity. Those women who have never had children are also at the risk of this cancer.
Till the exact cause of ovary cancer is not clear. But scientists believe that it happens when cells divide and multiply in an unregulated way.
Tan seconds summaries :
- This is cancer that forms in or on an ovary of women.
- Symptoms typically occur in advanced stages when tumor growth creates pressure on the bladder and rectum, and fluid begins to form.
- Symptoms may include bloating, pelvic pain, abdominal swelling, and loss of appetite.
- Approx 19 percent of this cancer is diagnosed in the early stages.
- Risk factors that help to develop ovary cancer are including family history, older age, reproductive history, and obesity.
- Factors that decrease risk include hormonal birth control, tubal ligation, and breastfeeding.
- Treatment usually includes some combination of surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy.
Sign & Symptoms :
Early symptoms may include:
- Pelvic pain
- Pain in lower abdomen
- Pain in lower part of the body
- Back pain
- Urgent urination
- Feeling full rapidly when eating
- Pain during sex
Symptoms in the advanced stage are including :
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Feeling tired
Risk Factors :
This cancer is related to the amount of time spent ovulating. That’s why the woman who has not borne children have increased the risk of ovary cancer. A longer period of ovulation caused by early first menstruation and late menopause is also a risk factor. Here are some factors that increase the risk of this cancer.
- Family History: If there is cancer in your family history than you have a higher risk of developing it.
- Age: The woman whose age is over 63 years, have under the risk of this disease.
- Obesity: Obesity can also increase the risk of this cancer.
- Breast cancer: The woman who is suffered from breast cancer have at the risk of this disease.
Stages of ovary cancer :
The are four stages of ovary cancer :
- Stage 1: Cancer cells affect only the ovary. In this stage, the cancer cell is not spread in the other area.
- Stage 2: In the second stage, cancer has affected one or both ovaries and also other organs within the pelvis, like the uterus, fallopian tubes, bladder.
- Stag 3: In the third stage, cancer affects one or both ovaries and either the lining of the abdomen or lymph nodes in the back of the abdomen.
- Stage 4: In the fourth stage, cancer has spread to other parts of the body, outside the peritoneal cavity.
Visit your doctor if you found any of its symptoms. Your doctor will carry out the pelvic examination and check for any palpable abnormalities in the uterus or ovaries. Your doctor also checks your family and medical history. The doctor will also check some test to diagnose it, including :
- Blood tests: To check for elevated levels of a marker.
- Imaging tests: By CT-scan, MRI
- Laparoscopy: To see the ovaries and, if necessary, to take a tissue sample.
Ovary cancer is diagnosed by :
- Hormone therapy
Click Here to know about uterine cancer.